General Pharmacology Package
This program includes:
- Principles of Safe Prescribing: Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, Pharmacogenomics, & Drug Interactions
- T-prolonging Medications: When to worry
- Drug Adverse Effects: Focusing on the most serious problems
- Vitamin D Deficiency: How to Assess and Intervene in this Common Condition
- Transgender Patient Essential Care: Making Healthcare Trans-parent
- Deprescribing in Older Adults: Doing more by doing less
- Drug-drug and Drug-nutrient Interactions: Avoiding Common Problems
- Rx Essentials: Antimicrobial Prescribing Update
- Urinary Tract Infection in Adults
- Ticked Off: Myths, Truths, and Realities of Tick-Borne Infections
- Rx Essentials: Nutraceuticals Prescribing Update
- Sleep Medications in Primary Care: How to Choose, What to Avoid
Courses included in this package. Click on a course to learn more.
- Deprescribing in Older Adults: Doing More by Doing Less 1.5 1.5
Run Time: 1.5
Contact Hours: 0
Rx Hours: 0
Part of good prescribing, deprescribing is the planned and supervised process of dose reduction or stopping of medication that might be causing harm or no longer be of benefit. Deprescribing is particularly important in older patients.
- Drug Adverse Effects: Focusing on the most serious problems 1.5 1.5Dr. Fitzgerald's case-based step-by-step presentation will help you recognize and develop a plan for avoiding and/or treating select less-known drug adverse effects. Marijuana drug use interaction is also addressed.
- Drug-Drug and Drug-Nutrient Interactions: Avoiding Common Problems 1.6 1.6
Understanding the mechanisms of common drug-drug and drug-nutrient interactions is essential to safe prescribing. Learn these mechanisms and how to avoid common interactions in this case-based course from Dr. Fitzgerald.
- Principles of Safe Prescribing 3.7 3.7
The art of safe prescribing begins with understanding the importance of a medication's pharmacokinetic (PK) and pharmacodynamic profile.
- QT-prolonging Medications: When to Worry 1.5 1.5
Dr. Fitzgerald outlines the mechanism, risks, and clinical consequences of QT prolongation associated with a variety of medications in this case-based program. Learn about clinical alternatives to the use of selected QT-prolonging medications.
- Rx Essentials: Antimicrobial Prescribing Update 3.7 3.7Dr. Fitzgerald demystifies antimicrobial prescribing in common bacterial infections including acute bacterial sinusitis, COPD exacerbation, urinary tract infection, and skin and soft tissue infections.
- Rx Essentials: Nutraceuticals Prescribing Update 4 4
In this case-based program, Dr. Fitzgerald presents essential prescribing updates and best practices for the most-commonly used nutraceuticals (vitamins, minerals, and herbs) based on established and emerging evidence.
- Sleep Medications in Primary Care: How to Choose, What to Avoid 1.8 1.8
Insomnia is a common complaint. Dr. Fitzgerald reviews sleep architecture, the risks and benefits of current sleep medications, and when and how to effectively prescribe medications and herbal products to enhance sleep.
- Ticked Off: Myths, Truths, and Realities of Tick-Borne Infections 1.6 0.4
Early diagnosis of tick-borne disease is key to avoiding complications. Learn to differentiate, recognize and treat these infections, including Lyme disease, babesia, and Ehrlichia.
- Transgender Patient Essential Care: Making Healthcare Trans-parent 1.6 0.3
Run Time: 1.4
Contact Hours: 1.6
Rx Hours: 0.3
The program describes the appropriate language to use when caring for a transgender patient, explains the differences between gender identity, gender dysphoria, and transgender and discusses WPATH standards of care for transgender clients.
- UTI in Adults: Update on Assessment & Treatment & Asymptomatic Bacteriuria 1.6 1.6
What are the most likely urinary tract infection (UTI) organisms? What are the most common UTI risk factors? What are the current recommendations for assessment and treatment of UTI? Learn the answers to these questions in this evidence-based program.
- Vitamin D Deficiency: Assessment & Intervention 1.25 0.25
Is vitamin D a vitamin or a hormone? Is vitamin D deficiency the cause of a multitude of illnesses, or is it a source of hype? Learn the answers to these questions from expert clinician, Dr. Margaret Fitzgerald.