Chapter 6: How Fitzgerald Helps FNPs Pass the Exam the First Time
Fitzgerald Health Education Associates was founded in 1988 by Margaret A. Fitzgerald, DNP, FNP-BC, NP-C, FAANP, CSP, FAAN, DCC, FNAP, when she was a graduate nursing program professor.
She noticed that many of her students were overwhelmed trying to learn how to study for the nurse practitioner exam and lacked quality review resources. Her goal was to create a streamlined review method that would help prepare NP students for their nurse practitioner board exams.
Since then, Dr. Fitzgerald has contributed to the advancement of the nursing profession and practice through numerous publications and presentations. A sought-after national speaker, Dr. Fitzgerald is recognized for her pharmacology, clinical assessment, and infectious disease expertise.
Dr. Fitzgerald practices at a federally qualified health center in Lawrence, MA, where for more than 3 decades she has provided family, primary, and urgent care. She serves on the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee at one of New England’s largest HMOs.
She is also Adjunct Associate Professor at Case Western Reserve University, in Cleveland, Ohio. A tenacious advocate, her achievements have earned her many honors.
Fitzgerald has become a household name within the nursing profession, with the Fitzgerald Review Method as the gold standard for NP certification exam preparation.
Fitzgerald by the numbers:
- 30+ years serving certified nurse practitioners and NP students in exam reviews, test prep materials, and continuing education
- Over 140,000 NPs have used Fitzgerald to pass their board exams
- Graduates of Fitzgerald review courses have an unparalleled 99%+ pass rate on their nurse practitioner certification tests
- Dr. Fitzgerald’s best-selling review book, Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam Prep, just published in 2021 is in its 6th edition.
Fitzgerald’s tradition of quality, under the guidance of one of the most well-respected figures in nursing education and leadership, is the reason nurse practitioner students choose us for certification and board-certified nurse practitioners use Fitzgerald for continuing education.
Why does Fitzgerald Have a 99%+ Pass Rate?
In 2020, the pass rate for all FNPs who took the AANP certification exam or the ANCC certification exam, ranged from 85%-89%.*
In contrast, Fitzgerald review course students have a 99%+ NP exam pass rate. How does the program generate a near-perfect pass rate?
Here’s what goes into the Fitzgerald Method:
Family Nurse Practitioner Exam Review Courses
The Fitzgerald Method delivers the most up-to-date, evidence-based family nurse practitioner certification review available.
The course is authored and updated by Dr. Fitzgerald to help students prepare for the ANCC FNP exam and the AANP FNP exam.* Additionally, it is taught by NP experts who actually practice as FNPs.
The FNP certification exam (ANCC or AANP) is notoriously challenging because it asks the examinee to apply the entire scope of their knowledge and skills, gained from both academic and clinical experience, to a series of questions.* This is why a review course is particularly beneficial: it reviews and helps tie together everything you’ve learned up to this point.
All Fitzgerald family nurse practitioner test prep courses review AANP and ANCC nurse practitioner test content and include:*
- Free practice exam & hundreds of prep questions
- Comprehensive printed workbook & access to online PDFs
- Bonus tutorial with audio presentation of rationales
Fitzgerald FNP Certification Reviews are available in a variety of formats:
- Family NP Review Packages and FNP Certification Prep Packages deliver more value from your investment. Each package is curated to suit a variety of study styles and learning formats, including livestream, online, and MP3 courses.
- Packages include the most resources to prepare for certification, plus additional testing.
Classes take place remotely, from the comfort of your own learning space. Each course spans two days from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with breaks included.
This format is perfect for students who benefit from live instruction delivered by FNP certification experts. The webinar includes real-time Q&A sessions, so you can have questions answered just as you would in a classroom setting and get the benefit of learning from your peers’ questions. This format includes some online topics.
For those who prefer to learn on their own schedule, Fitzgerald’s online FNP review course features 24/7 access for 180 days. Content is presented by FNP certification experts.
As questions arise, join four live online Q&A sessions with Fitzgerald faculty to ensure that you’re confident with your review comprehension and testing strategies.
Learn on the Go with MP3 Players. If you spend a lot of time in the car or want to learn while you walk or run, this is a great choice for you. This format includes some online topics.
Family Nurse Practitioner Exam Prep Questions and Practice Tests (included with packages and livestream courses)
Fitzgerald’s comprehensive 350-Question Prep Test for Family NP Certification covers the content within the AANP and ANCC exam outlines over five separate tests.*
- Formulated using the proven Fitzgerald method of certification test preparation
- Each clinical topic includes assessment, diagnosis, intervention, evaluation, and pharmacology comprehension
- Practice tests contain detailed rationales for every question and analysis of knowledge gaps—use this information to guide your studies and use your time efficiently
- Comprehensive analysis is arranged by topic
Family Nurse Practitioner Exam Prep Book
Dr. Fitzgerald’s award-winning text, Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam Prep, Sixth edition, is the only book that teaches the how, what, and why of the NP practice, critical to passing the NP boards.
You may have already seen this textbook in your studies, as it is currently required in more than 191 NP programs. This book will help you:
- Gain critical knowledge essential for exam preparation & practice
- Develop critical thinking and test-taking skills for the exam
The sixth edition was published in 2021, with several beneficial updates:
- More than 2,500 prep questions with detailed rationales to reinforce learning & practice test taking skills
- Complements Fitzgerald NP Certification Review Course
Free Resources for FNP Students/New FNPs Preparing for Boards
Dr. Fitzgerald conducts a regularly scheduled free webinar to offer her insights and answer your questions about preparing for your FNP certification exam.
Topics covered include:
- How the exams compare (ANCC vs AANP)*
- Recent changes to the AANPCB and ANCC tests
- Best study practices for preparing for certification
- What to expect on the exams
Webinars start at 8 PM Eastern time on scheduled dates.
Reserve Your Seat
Free Fitzgerald Newsletter
This informative monthly newsletter features news you can use for the exam and once you are in practice. Every issue includes a Certification Q&A to help you prepare for the exam.